Friday 23 August 2013

Friday night football

(At the time of writing) I am watching the State of Origin. With my boyfriend.

I must confess that prior to dating him, I've tried to familiarise myself with football, or rugby, NRL, AFL, and I've had countless people explaining the difference to me, and how the game works and all that. These people are very nice and very patient because I just don't seem to get it.

I still don't get it. Even when my boyf patiently explains the rules of the games to me over and over and over again. At times like this, I am not sure why he is dating me. Because it is not that I was not listening to how the game works, I was, I just ... er... don't quite get it.

As in, I need someone to (1) watch the game with me and (2) explain what the fuck is going on. Explain why certain moves are awesome, you know. Why certain guys are better than the others. Bla bla bla. You get the drill.

The game of rugby never ceases to amaze me. I certainly do not want to play it and for the love of rum and raisin, I can't understand why anyone want to suffer that much for sport. Whenever I think about this when I am running, it makes all the running-related suffering falls pale in comparison. Sure my leg muscles may be burning, but even then my quads burn more when I am on the bloody bike machine. And at least, I don't have to watch out for a massive rug sack to hit me and knock me off for like a good 18 seconds.

I mean, really, compared to rugby, everything else seems easier by comparison. I can't even find a legitimate complain about running anymore because when I run, I just, uh, you know, run, without worrying about passing around a ball, avoiding tackles and scoring a try. And trying not to get injured, bleed or be killed in the process.  Or having someone pull your pants down.

I totally understand why parents want their kids to play rugby. If you can handle rugby, you can handle everything else in life. [Yes, I know, this is an over-generalisation on my part given that most professional football players are not exactly err... whatever. But there are some good ones. Just sayin'.] 

[In the interest of full disclosure, (1) when I say I am watching the State of Origin with my boyfriend, what I really mean is "I am lying down on the couch with my boyfriend, who is watching the State of Origin, while I am doing something else, namely blogging" TV and I are not a good match generally, which is why I never watch it watch it, I always end up falling asleep; (2) he is not the only boyfriend that I watch the footie with, I have done it in the past with other people who were my boyfriends at the time and were somewhat rather obsessed with footie, which is seemingly the norm if you live here in the land of oz; (3) I have tried watching the State of Origin on my own and it was a very confusing experience because there is no one to explain what the fuck is going on, so I gave up, turned off the tv and followed the live-updates instead. Don't ask me why I bother doing that because for the life of me, I don't really care about who wins or who doesnt; (4) I used to say that people who are obsessed with footie have no life, I am sorry, I take this back. I should not have made inferences like that since some of the most wonderful people I know in this life is somewhat obsessed with football, and these people are not my ex-boyfriends. Peace out.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your real names to your voices. Anonymity is so overrated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.