Thursday 20 June 2013

#ThrowbackThursday: how our memories are built

sometimes i think it doesn't hurt to look back so that i can appreciate how far i have come. but reality is that it does hurt to look back. it brings back memories of the things that you thought you have forgotten. the things that you thought were never there to begin with. but those things were there and they were not merely a pigment of your imagination.

growing up i got my fair share of being reminded of remembering the good stuff others have done for you and forgetting all the shit that they have done to you. if i can say something now - i think that is the worst piece of advice ever invented because if you keep on doing so then how the hell can you ever learn from your "mistakes". if others are not nice to you, then please do yourself the favour of doing something about it instead of just letting them do that to you and then forgetting them.

so against my better judgment, i walked the trip down my memory lane and the next thing i knew i was trying to construct pieces of memories. and because i am getting older by the second, i have difficulties trying to remember some things - much to my annoyance. maybe because they were no memorable to begin with. maybe because they were unimportant to begin with. i dont know.

there are good things that i remember and these things make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. and almost always (if not always), these would involve people. and these things make me miss them. these things make me wish they are here with me right now. i am not sure whether this is human conditioning or whether this is a function of one of the worst advices i have ever received - i do remember the good stuff more than the bad stuff.

funny how our memories are built like that.

[#ThrowbackThursday is a term that denotes an act of putting a picture from the past on your social media sites. Here it has been altered to denote an act of putting up a writing that I've done in the past in the blog. I don't really let my writing that I've done in the past posted anywhere because I don't like talking or writing about my past, period. But then I come across this picture on Facebook, courtesy of Flourish in Progress with the following caption: I used to be afraid to write about my past because I made so many poor life choices along the way. Then, I realized that whether I wrote about it or not, it would always be my life, and ignoring it or hiding it would not make it any less true.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your real names to your voices. Anonymity is so overrated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.